Natural Approaches to Common Medical Conditions
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
Symptoms Not easily defined but typically there is constant movement, impulsivity, difficulty focusing. May include uncoordinated fine motor movements, perception difficulties and aggressive behaviour.
Causes Sensitivity to certain food additives, environmental allergens and nutrient deficiencies. Genetics may play a role.
- Nutrition: Assess food allergens such as sugar and preservatives plus essential fatty acid deficiencies.
- Lifestyle: Relaxation/breathing techniques, detoxification of heavy metals.
- Botanicals: Lemon balm, Chamomile, Ginger
- Consider Homeopathy, Acupressure, CranioSacral Therapy.
Symptoms Various types of pain along the spinal column and associated muscles.
Causes Poor posture, incorrect lifting, organic problems such as gallstones or cysts.
- Lifestyle: Increase proper exercises, stop smoking, stretch often.
- Homeopathy: Arnica, Rhus toxicodendron, or Ruta graveolens.
- Supplements: Vitamin C, calcium-magnesium, essential fatty acids.
- Consider Acupuncture, bodywork, hydrotherapy or manipulations.
Symptoms Not easily defined but typically there is a dissatisfied mood, weight changes or insomnia. May include psychomotor agitation, self-reproach or repeated negative thoughts.
Causes Variable but can include: sensitivity to certain life stressors, nutrient deficiencies, alcoholism, drug-induced or chronic pain.
- Nutrition: Assess nutrient deficiencies, such as essential fatty acids.
- Lifestyle: Relaxation/breathing techniques, detoxification of excessive methylanthines.
- Botanicals: Cimicifuga racemosa, Rosmarinus officinalis, Hypericum perforatum.
- Homeopathy: Ignatia, Aurum metallicum or Lycopodium.
- Consider Craniosacral Therapy.
Symptoms Being toxic can be associated with other problems such as headaches, fatigue, indigestion, constipation or poor coordination.
Causes Toxins in the air, food and water accumulate and leads to an overload on organ systems such as the liver, intestines and kidneys.
- Lifestyle: Small, frequent meals, exercise, detoxification diet and protocol.
- Nutrition: Reduce processed foods, reduce hydrogenated fats, increase water-soluble fibers.
- Supplements: Beta-carotenes, Vitamin C and lipotrophic agents.
- Botanicals: Silybum marianum or Taraxacum officinalis.
- Consider Hydrotherapy or castor oil packs.
Hay Fever/Allergic Rhinitis
Symptoms Runny, itchy eyes and nose, severe sneezing, difficulty breathing and sometimes a tickly throat.
Causes The immune system reacts to a grain of pollen or grass causing a release of chemicals, including histamine, to defend the body.
- Botanicals: Stinging Nettle, Tumeric or Echinacea.
- Supplements: Bromelain or quercetin.
- Homeopathy: Arundo mauritanica, Allium cepa or Euphrasia
Symptoms Difficulty falling asleep and/or frequent awakenings with difficulty falling back asleep.
Causes A number of factors such as, anxiety or tension, environmental changes, sleep apnea, hypoglycemia, pain or discomfort, shift-work.
- Botanicals: Avena sativa, Melissa officinalis or Passiflora incarnata.
- Supplements: Magnesium or L-Tryptophan.
- Homeopathy: Pulsatilla, Cinchona or Arsenicum album.
- Consider Hypnotherapy or epsom salt bath.
Menopause (women from 35-55 years)
Symptoms Hot flashes, vaginal dryness, aches and pains, self-esteem issues, night sweats, anxiety, bone loss.
Causes Reduction of estrogen and progesterone production. There may be also adrenal exhaustion and thyroid issues.
- Lifestyle: Wholesome diet, regular exercise, avoid cigarettes and alcohol.
- Nutrition: Increase soy intake, limit sugars, increase calcium rich foods.
- Supplements: Flax seeds, Vitamin C, lipotrophics.
- Botanicals: Black Cohosh, Sage, Motherwort, Chasteberry.
Symptoms The typical start of the common cold is a sore throat.
Natural Consideration in Hydrotherapy
- After your evening bath or shower, find a mid-sized towel or scarf that will wrap around your neck comfortably.
- Wet the towel or scarf in cold water and wring it out. Wrap it around your neck so that your throat is covered, similarly to how you'd wear a scarf on a frigid day. Then, wrap a dry scarf around the damp one so that it is completely covered. This outside layer keeps you warm.
- Go to bed with the neck coverings on. By the morning, your throat has benefited from the additional blood flow that was attracted to the area. Repeat the next night if necessary. This will also help to improve your sleep
Symptoms Clothes too tight, feeling sluggish, increased body fat percentage.
Causes Imbalance in bodys metabolism of fats and sugars, disturbances of the brains appetite mechanism, overeating, thyroid problems.
- Lifestyle: Small, frequent meals, exercise and weight training.
- Nutrition: Reduce processed foods, reduce hydrogenated fats, increase fiber intake.
- Supplements: B-vitamins, Co-Q10, lecithin, essential fatty acids, bromelain.
- Botanicals: Gymnem sylvestre, kelp.
Disclaimer: The goal of this website is to inform patients and potential patients on the benefits of Naturopathic Medicine. It is not to be considered as medical advice without a physical exam, medical history and appropriate laboratory work up. Dr. Reina Persaud, BSc, ND does not assume any responsibility of how the information on this site is used.